9.21.2007

seperating me ... from me

Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. Luke 9:23

Death to ourselves.

Absolute surrender.

I don't know if I'll ever fully grasp the idea.

"Satan's only real hope to control my life is me. We often labor under the misguided notion that Satan wants us to do his will. Satan has no will in our lives. He only wants us to do our will. We have met the enemy, and he is us." [mark rutland]

I don't know how true everything he is saying is ... but the last statement is essential. This same idea is at the beginning of A Severe Mercy and it has been prevalent throughout my life. But I'm understanding the depth of it more as I become wiser. And I seem to be facing it all around me these days.

We are our own enemy.

What does this fully mean?

Our pride.

Our tendencies.

Pieces of us that we cling on to ... things God wants to free us from.

What is it to deny ourselves? To die to ourself? To surrender our enemy? ... in order to give evil no foothold in our lives.


Tarrying in this for awhile.


...

No comments: