8.30.2008

Serve God, Save the Planet

Book 4: Serve God, Save the Planet

This was one of my summer reads. It transformed the way I look at the world. First, I believed I was very conscious about the affects we were having on the earth. However this author had an incredible amount of facts, some incredible real stories of things he has seen as well as some great illustrations.

One that is powerful is imagining the history of people as a twelve month calendar. January 1st stands for 8000 BC. Each "day" represents 27 years. December 31st on represents the year 2000 AD. In July, people start writing, building libraries, and using iron tools. In September, Christ lives, dies and is resurrected. By December 24th 98% of all human history has passed and humanity reaches the 1 billion mark. On December 29th, we reached 2 billion. We add another billion on the 30th and during the 31st we add 3 billion more.

He goes on to describe population growth in relation to the earth and it is simply eye-opening. I was most challenged by the fact that energy is to be valued and kept, as it is not endless. That seems like a simple truth. But, now I know it in my mind, purpose and heart.

This book is for anyone who lives on this earth. It will open your eyes and you will at least change a few things about your lifestyle at the end, I don't think there is a way that you couldn't! And honestly I had a really hard time putting it down.

No comments: