5.19.2008

every moment Spirit-led

I'm reading a book these days that I have a hard time putting down or even being patient enough to finish one page before I turn to the next. It's intriguing and simply beautiful. A thought of the writer's struck me the other day at the core - I've all ready shared it with two friends earlier last week and thought I would share it with you.

I think there is a danger spiritually, for many of us, that if God packed up and left town today we might not notice until tomorrow, or worse. We have strategies and structures that can easily bypass the Holy Spirit, strategies for funding, strategic ways of prioritizing time and advancing the kingdom which were ignored completely by Jesus. ... He prioritized people without influence, offended those with power, and apparently missed major ministry opportunities in order to picnic and pray.

I'm not saying it's wrong to be organized. God gave us common sense and calls us to be good stewards of our resources. But if our techniques for time management, people management, and money management become automatic, we may well lose the dynamic leadership of the Holy Spirit who is like fire and wind, a bird in flight, or a quiet whisper in the wake of calamity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"in order to picnic and pray."

amen.

Hope said...

And we (I) forget and fret about missed "opportunities" all the time, while in His life He was grilling up some Mahi Mahi and resting in prayer on the mountainside.