1.19.2008

the ultimatum

In relationships, ultimatums and threats often arise in arguments or conflicts. Some believe that if they threaten to leave or use the word 'never', then it will stop the other from doing whatever that action is, whether it is a reasonable thing to do or not.

I hate when others threaten huge things to cause people to live in fear, and I think I have formed some sort of bitterness to those kind of irrational ultimatums.

BUT, tonight I was hanging out with some friends, an engaged couple and a married couple. They got off on a silly tangent and one of the guys turned to his fiance and said in a very light tone "If you ever do that, I would leave for the rest of the night."

And I just smiled and laughed aloud. If you knew this guy, you probably would laugh too. This ultimatum was such a reasonable one, it still was an exaggeration. But, it was just refreshing to me, it almost blew me away. I thought how that was so great to hear. He wasn't joking about leaving her forever or never speaking to her or anything huge ... just that he would leave for a few hours. He was still being completely sarcastic (I believe). I'm just glad there is okay communication still going on around us. I love it.

None of you will probably appreciate this as much as me, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

actually, i appreciate it.

do i know any of the people you were talking about?
but yay. :) this made me smile.

i love you, hope!

Hope said...

you don't know any of the people - but it's just as good!