1.01.2008

jump start my heart

I find myself fitting into the stereotypical woman-box some days. As an independent female, this is a challenge for me to admit. But, I think it is an every-woman battle. So, I'll confess.

I know that God created us with a heart, mind and soul. And generally women seem to let their hearts or emotions over-power the entirety of their mind and soul. This obviously is a danger in regards to God's will, his wisdom and our ability to approach life and friendships with blameless integrity.

The soul is the centrality of who we are, our purpose, our hope, the direction God leads us. When we lack the ability to let our minds or our soul have their appropriate role in our life and rather our hearts ... it can lead to much trouble and plainly sin.

I find this tendency in myself especially with anger. I think that is why God is SO clear on his words about anger. And I have seen so clearly in my life how it has given the devil a foothold.

[james 1:19-20]
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

[ephesians 1:26-27]
In your anger do not sin: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold.

God can change our lives. He can help me to have enough wisdom and self-control to not allow my heart or emotions (especially anger) to motivate my words or thoughts, ever.

He calls us to take all of our thoughts (which are usually initiated by our hearts) captive to His glory. The ways that I fall short in allowing my emotions to determine my words is the opposite of all that He intends for me. So, my hope is that He will take my heart over for His purposes and through the wisdom that He has surrounded me with in my life.

Beautiful ... breaking out of the typical.

[the photo above was taken by Jay K]

No comments: