9.28.2007

His favorite

There is a mystery that leads to discussion by many. The Word has such depths that no one can fathom. We argue over interpretations, context, and what God may have really meant. Theologians spend their whole lives studying the same scripture, led by the same Spirit, and often come to different conclusions.

I have two different ideas about this ... one is, I think they may be spending too much time focusing on the minuscule pieces of the scriptures, when there are people are dying down the street waiting for a drink of water ... but secondly (and part of my point of this writing) is that I believe God uses scripture to speak to us individually ... through our own interpretations. Yes, I often believe people are way off and could be 'proven wrong.' But I think God may use His words, sometimes even out of context [some of you may be thinking, heresy! ... but that's okay :) ] to speak to our hearts in a particular that may be essential to altering our ideas of Him ... towards something that is more true than otherwise.

A thought about this idea came to my mind in regards to the ideas of why John so often refers to himself as 'the one whom Jesus loves' ... there are many thoughts about this ... theologians have spent years making hypotheses.

And after a conversation with some friends, I am just more amazed by the peculiar workings of God and His abilities to speak to our hearts ... how our interpretations, which may be a little off according to theologians, can really help us to see God in His truer character ... and it all is just beautiful and inspiring to me.

A friend, who has been amidst a struggle and doubt of God, he questions who He is, and often asks, 'what is salvation really?' ... was sharing his view on John, 'the one whom Jesus loves.'

What I took from his words (which I'm not exactly sure if this was the correct interpretation) was that maybe John needed to say that in order to reassure himself of the truth. Maybe he felt unworthy, and therefore paralyzed in his abilities to do great things in Christ's name. It was empowering for him, to call himself 'the one whom Jesus loves.' [that's neat to hear, especially if you know my friend.]

However, before this conversation with my friend the other day, I interpreted it as John's view that he was Jesus' favorite. Maybe it's because I see all the ways he was so prideful in his following of Christ ... all the claims he made, all the questions he asked. I think he may have actually thought that he was the favorite.

A while back I read this story in a book by Joanna Weaver about favorites, and it made me smile. So, I thought I'd share it with you this evening,

For sixteen years of my life, Grandma Nora lived with us. She helped raise us kids while my mother worked, and I have so many wonderful memories of my times with her. Cheeseburgers and Pepsi at Woolworth's soda fountain. Chicken and dumplings for dinner and pancakes for breakfast. Taking turns spending the night with Grandma, tucked in her big iron bed, and falling asleep as she prayed for missionaries around the world. Grandma Nora blessed us with a rich legacy of love.

When she passed away, my brother and sister and I sat around sharing all that Grandma Nora had meant to us. "I feel kind of bad, " my baby brother Steve said. "I hope you guys weren't mad that I was her favorite."

I looked at him in amazement. "What do you mean?" I asked. " I was her favorite."

Linda looked at both of us and shook her head. "No way! I was her favorite."

We all stared at each other in disbelief and then dissolved into laughter and wonderment. To experience such a depth of love and attention that all three of us would secretly consider ourselves loved more than the other - wow!

I think God has (and Jesus exemplified this in his lifetime) the ability to make us feel this way. In our moments in our secret places, our painful times, our struggles, our leadership positions, our moments where we have a love to shine ... we know He is with us, right there. And he loves us. That seems to constitute us as His favorite. Each of us. Every one of us. He can make us all feel that way, and it just makes it impossible to take a huge smile off of my face whenever I think about it.

(I love Him. And He's my favorite too.)

No comments: