5.16.2007

giving to beggars on the street

Should I give to beggars on the street? I have a hard time saying there are exceptions to a strong yes every time. You've made clear commands about the poor. There doesn't seem to be any arguing.

Leviticus 25:35-36 If one of your countrymen becomes poor and is unable to support himself among you, help him as you would an alien or a temporary resident, so he can continue to live among you. Do not take interest of any kind from him, but fear your God, so that your countrymen may continue to live among you.

Proverbs 21:13 If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered.

Proverbs 28:27 He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses.

Matthew 19:21 Jesus said to him, "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me. "

Matthew 25:35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
37 Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40" The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'


Luke 14:12 He said also to the man who had invited him, "When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your kinsmen or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return, and you be repaid. 13 But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind, 14 and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just. ... 21 So the servant came and reported this to his master. Then the householder in anger said to his servant, 'Go out quickly to the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in the poor and maimed and blind and lame.'

James 2:8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right. 9 But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. 10For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

You are love and justice and you desire for ALL people's needs to be met. But, when looking at this systemic poverty that cycles endlessly and seems to hurt their souls even more than saying no to handing them coin after coin, I get lost in my thoughts.

Can I give them something else? What? How can I help provide? Carry a can of soup around? Carry extra bibles? Carry a list of shleters or Christ Church's needs ministry info?

I think those are better options for them overall, especially after reading the articles below.

I'm okay now. Giving strangers change isn't necessarily what you meant by the scriptures.

Killing with Kindness
Actually Helping Them
Marginal Revolution Article

No comments: